Saturday, November 04, 2006

Jumpin' on the accessibility bandwagon...

I'm embarassed to say, I haven't been a good little web designer/developer that adheres to today's best practices. There are a few things I've shamefully disregarded in my websites. The one that I should be kicking myself on is: accessiblity. Now before you run off to another blog, this is not as techy-nerdy as you may think...

In 1998, Congress amended the Rehabilitation Act to require Federal agencies to make their electronic and information technology accessible to people with disabilities. Inaccessible technology interferes with an individual's ability to obtain and use information quickly and easily. Section 508 was enacted to eliminate barriers in information technology, to make available new opportunities for people with disabilities, and to encourage development of technologies that will help achieve these goals. The law applies to all Federal agencies when they develop, procure, maintain, or use electronic and information technology. Under Section 508 (29 U.S.C. ‘ 794d), agencies must give disabled employees and members of the public access to information that is comparable to the access available to others.


This act came about just as I was getting into desktop publishing, so I knew about it and knew it was important to learn but just never had someone come to me that wanted their website to be 508 compliant. So, unfortunately, I never bothered. Well, since then I've done my share of reading and figure if I know how to do it, well then....why not?

Although I'm no expert with the issue and can't promise that a blind person won't be frustrated with what I give them...I can say, it'll be better than before... :-)

No comments: