Thursday, May 18, 2006

In case you were wondering...

< < < WARNING: GEEK POST > > >

I just got off the phone with a person who wanted some fairly extravagant features on a website, and figuring that some of you may one day toy with the idea of building a website in the future (or having someone do it for you)...I thought this may be a helpful post.

First thing...there are sooo many different methods to building a website. You can have a full Flash website (typically lots of bells, whistles, animation) but you'll never get anywhere with search engines and it's a pain to update. But done well, Flash sites can be really cool. Then you have tables, frames, and CSS (and no, building a site off Geocitie's Sitebuilder doesn't count!). Tables are by far the most traditional method, and as far as I know, most used. Frames are just a bad, bad idea for so many reasons but I won't get into that. And CSS is the relatively new and, in my humble opinion, best method. Less markup, easy updating. :-D I build (most) my websites using CSS with Flash elements. To all the table freaks, I have no issue with them...I just happen to think it's purpose should be for tabular data and not layout.

May sound okay, but then you have all these different browsers (Internet Explorer, Firefox, Netscape) and platforms (PC/MAC) and guess what...they don't all render code the same way. So, after a day of slaving over every pixel getting everything where it should be...the website may look perfect on all your browsers but on Explorer (who's support of CSS leaves alot to be desired) looks all funktified (that's an Amanda word, by the way).

Well, that just the "tip-of-the-iceberg-overview" of the front-end portion of building a website. Not even covering javascript, web standards and accessibility...I figure I've already made your head hurt :-)

8 comments:

Daphne said...

WOW! Your web-site looks so nice and easy to use....guess knowing what you're doing makes it seem easy....to the user. Your Unk Norm was saying how even people with dial-up could use what you have. Just remember that the customer who is super savy isn't going to hire a designer when they can do it themselves.....Course....they just might want to see how really cute you are.

J-2 said...

i'd appreciate it if you posted blogs whereas i don't need a computer glossary next to me in order to decipher it...ha! i had flashbacks of my ol' computer days at comscore. i was such a computer geek, that we'd (we, being people in the database division) tell each other jokes in database SQL language. (i.e. "select * from redskins_fans where iq_score > 50" "No records found")

Unknown said...

Haha...well, the super savvy customer may not have me design it, but can they build a website from the design? That's what the post is all about, the design process is a totally different post in itself. :-D

Unknown said...

j-2...I need to learn SQL. I thought the joke was "select * from cowboys_fans where iq_score > 0" "No records found" :-D

Computer glossary?! And you call yourself an ex-competer geek...

Anonymous said...

you've come so far grasshopper! and did you actually make a football joke?? btw, i think da brat is gonna come after you for trying to steal her word...sooooo...sooooo...sooooo funktified.

Unknown said...

I owe it all to my mastah (bowing deeply) and to the late Macromedia for having rounded, shadowed corners on their website.

J-2 said...

ok..amanda...them r fightin' words. "select count(*) from northern_va where favorite_sport = 'hockey'" "1" :)

Unknown said...

That's fine...I like being unique. :P