Friday, August 10, 2007

Why I love "A List Apart"...

If a website could stalk a person, I think this one has my number.

So, just last week I scolded a now ex-client for not writing good content for his website. And as I'm perusing my bookmark list, I see that A List Apart decided that this issue, dedicated to web writing, was solely dedicated to lil ol' me...how nice of them!

Now, as I dabble with freelancing, I realize I'm not making high-traffic websites whose owners have deep pockets to pay for copywriters, design, and maintenance. And, in this specific case of my aforementioned ex-client, I didn't expect content that would knock my socks off. But with the little content I received, there was no mention of what areas the business serviced and a requested site navigation of seven pages/sections all with little to no content. It was plainly obvious that the 'content' was pretty much fluff that he felt he needed to have to get a website up. Not content that was written with the end user in mind.

What I do expect and have grown to require out of clients is more effort and research on their part. My frustration stems out of clients that want a website just to have a website and want me to conjure something outta thin air. I'm a big fan of the internet and of the potential it could bring a start-up business, charity, etc. And while I can provide design and development, I'm not a writer. And the problem is, I think writing/content, in many cases, is the most important part of the website.

Just to give you an example, the Philippine Children's Foundation. Much to my mother's chagrin, I did this website for free. Why did I do this free and not her charity website? Because the owner did his homework. He gave me content for every page on day one. He supplied me with good photos I could work with. Now, he was pain with settling on a logo...but he was generally enthusiastic about the project, and that made all the difference in the world.

But, to be fair, maybe I'm just a grouchy web dummie who has nothing better to do with my time than rant on clients and dream up terms like 'web sins'...

1 comment:

Daphne said...

What no pictures of this past weekend! I want to hear all about what your future will be. Sorry I missed all that good stuff!