Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Quality education...

It's no secret that lately I've been unmotivated when it comes to school and this experience has done nothing but solidify my belief that college is, for the most part, a waste of time and money. That is not to say I don't believe in going to school and getting a good education. It's just a very sad situation that people pay a good amount to get an 'education' that is worthless.

My case: As much as it pained me to switch my major, I decided to drop business and go into IT. Mostly just sad about the two semesters of Accounting with the meanest teacher on earth...I didn't have to do that?!!

Anyways, I signed up for 3 IT courses through NVCC since they transfer over the GMU. Well, one of those courses happens to be Multimedia Software...well, seriously now...I could teach that course. And I don't mind taking it, I realize it's a requirement. My issue is what they're teaching...it's wrong. I won't go into a long diatribe, but basically, they are teaching methods and software that isn't relevant in today's market.

After emailing the instructor about my thoughts I get a nice response basically saying 'Sorry you're disappointed. Submit your assignments using the method you're used to'. Well, that's good but it does nothing to alleviate my concern that once I do get into more IT classes in which I will be wanting to learn new things...how will I know that I won't be learning methods that weren't used back in the stone age?

Oh well...I guess that's what happens when you pay $87 per credit. Which brings me to a whole other issue...only rich people can get a good education? Ok, I'll stop there. I'm not liking the education system right now.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

That's what you get for going to school actually wanting to learn...who does that??

sfrost said...

Trying to go for the big $ now with switching to IT. Good for you for going back and trying to finish your education. Do you have to start over when you transfer later to Mason or do most of the classes that you took for Business at Nova transfer to Mason as well?

sfrost said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Unknown said...

I'm not sure what will happen with my business credits...as far as I know, they'll still transfer but I'm not sure if I could use them toward an IT degree.

And actually wanting to learn?? I want something for my $$!

Lytkpr said...

I have always thought that education was and still is such a rip-off. You pay so much money...get into big time debt...and for what, something that you could get for free if you really wanted to learn about on the internet. It is good that a few companies do still take into consideration experience and actually being able to do the job!

Tulip said...

I agree. I hated every minute of school and in the long run I learned way more at my job than school has taught me. Unfortunately some companies out there (like mine) won't either 1) hire an employee without a degree or 2) let their current employee advance in his/her career without a higher degree. I'm pretty much stuck at #2 and I've gotta say I'm willing to be satisfied with that. If I got my masters I could get in management but I'm not so sure the hassle of management is worth the pay raise or extra money and time wasted on a degree.