Tuesday, August 22, 2006

A newbie for my life's tick list...

Okay, it's not so new...but it will be for you all as I'm just posting it. I want to climb a mountain. Haven't decided which one yet...but something big, something technical, something that'll require some acclimatizing, something not so dangerous (K2 can wait). It's not something I have in mind for a vacation next year. But I'm thinking maybe in the next 5-10 years...

It's odd to say this as it was just last year that I got into rock climbing and Adam had given me the low-down on how a 'climbing bug' progresses...1. climbing at the local crag (Great Falls for us locals) 2. learning how to lead climb 3. spending a ton of money and amassing a large amount of climbing gear 4. and finally, mountaineering. (FYI, I'm just in the early stages of phase 2) And my response, as I recall, "Mountaineering, no way. Not me, not gonna happen".

3 comments:

sfrost said...

Wow you're getting hardcore on this hobby of yours. If Scott gets me the clubs that we looked @ Golfdom for a price of a mini vacation for 1 person at Cancun, then that will be my new lifelong hobby. Good for you to do a must do list, i am going to start to do that as well , only thing is that i find that as I have gotten older i have started to get more scared about things that i wasn't before. We have our big semi black belt testing tonight, wish us luck-mostly me. My hand still hurts from trying to do a knife break and my elbow break and i haven't practiced my foot break so i'm going to wing it tonight.
Here's pics from Erica's wedding and the wedding in cali on my space.

http://www.myspace.com/tkdpkrgrl

Unknown said...

Good luck tonight!! So you'll be a semi black belt? Talk about getting hardcore into something...

TKD, golf, poker....see, climbing would fit well into your reportoire! :-D '1 person at Cancun' priced golf clubs??? (ebay...)

J-2 said...

sheesh, sfrost - what sort of clubs are you planning to buy that equates the cost of a cancun trip? or, are mini cancun trips not really that expensive? you shouldn't spend more than $250 on clubs. for the average novice player, a high-priced set of clubs is not going to improve your game any more than an average set of clubs.

now, regarding amanda's desire to climb mt. everest - sounds like you have the "climbing bug" pretty bad. what 'bout climbs down in the new river area? (southwest virginia).