Sunday, July 01, 2007

Old Rag Epic, Part II

The trip started out okay. We got up to the summit. And yea...that was merely the approach. We downclimbed a bit from there and climbed a couple of routes. Then the epic ensued...

So, after we left the area, called the 'Summit' area, we went to get to the 'Sunset' area. This was the same place we tried to get to the last time we went to Old Rag (please refer to prior post). Well, the bushwhacking didn't get any better this time. Here I am, trying to follow the fella's and being that I believe I was the only one that was carrying both rope and gear...I think it's safe to say, I had the heaviest of loads. And we're full on bushwhacking and not only did I have the bonus of the heavy pack, but I also had the luxury of being the fly magnet. So, again I decided to head back to the main trail. But then they found the area up ahead, so I decided to stick it out. But after another 10 minutes of bushwhacking and hearing that these would be short climbs, I decided that it just wasn't worth it, so I told the guys I'd meet them at the car.

Now, I was fully aware that I didn't know the exact way back to the trail. But my directional instincts are usually not that bad. But not in this case, I got soooooo lost!! And I was fine, up until the point where I realized I couldn't hear the guys anymore and there were no hikers within earshot. Matter of fact, the only thing I heard was the buzz of the extremely annoying flies that never left my side. And I'm not talking a stroll through the woods here, I was scrambling over boulders and having fights with thorny branches. Anyhow, so back to being lost.... I've reached a section where the rock looked really familiar...so I felt hope. Only to climb over and see that there is nothing but thick crap all around me. I had busted my a$$ getting over that boulder only to find myself even more lost. And it was at this point, I went into full panic mode and starting cursing myself for not going to Sportrock instead. So, I drop my pack and scramble back up the boulder and decided to utilize my vocal chords and started yelling for the guys. 10 minutes goes by....nothing. I scramble up further, try again...finally, someone responds. Long story, semi-short...I get rescued and my rescuer's only advice to me was that if I wanted to meet people, next time use match.com. Nice. If I hadn't been so insanely grateful for being back on the path, I would've felt pretty silly. :-/ No more bushwhacking at Old Rag for me.....EVER.

6 comments:

J-2 said...

Yup..definitely a scary moment to be lost in the middle of absolute nothingness. Rule of thumb #1 - never go off the broken trail by your lonesome.

But, at least you got an interesting story out of it.

Fat Kid Chuckles said...

If it makes you feel any better, I got lost at Sportrock. When they finally found me, I was curled up in the fetal position, thumb in my mouth, rocking back and forth, all the while mumbling to myself, 'Do YOU need a belay? Do YOU need a belay?'

Unknown said...

j-2 - I think I'm gonna trump your #1 with mine: stick to the freakin' trail. It's my new motto in life.

fkc - Now, if you would've won at fondue-off, you would've been able to send a smoke signal out from your trophy. But that's right...you didn't win. :-P

Lytkpr said...

Wow!I just thank God that He is watching over you! And yes, several lessons...NEVER be a lone ranger, no matter how able you think you are, and NEVER leave the the beaten trail no matter how tough and tired you get.

Lytkpr said...

Oh, also, I got curious when Epic 1 was, so I looked at your archives and it was really interesting that I guessed the month right off the bat!

Unknown said...

Yup, guess I drank all my Starbucks that morning since I was able to find my way back that time...